Saturday 11 May 2013

Thatcher, Gandhi and Feminism

I am no expert on politics or history, my knowledge is pretty limited and i am not professing to know it all, but Margaret Thatchers death last month and the public reaction has really played on my mind.

This woman was the first female (and so far only one to come even close) to become prime minister, from 1979-1990. Lets not forget she was reelected 3 times. She was an ill woman, with kids, grandkids and a broken heart after the death of her husband, yet the "Great" British public were delighted, pretty much dancing on her grave! I was outraged, ashamed and disappointed. I could maybe understand the reaction to a degree if she had passed away while in power, but 20 years later? It is disgusting if you ask me. Most of the people I could see laying into this woman were men of my age, who probably don't even vote, and probably don't even remember her as PM. I am not a Tory and I don't know enough about her time in power to know if I would have voted for her, but I do have a heart, I am compassionate and I am utterly disgusted at the reaction to her death.

Similarily in India, Indira Gandhi was the first female (and again, only) prime minister of India in 1966-1977 even before Maggie. How amazing a country which still treats women as second class citizens elected a woman to run them time and time again (Indira was also re-elected in 1980 where she ruled until her death in 1984). How inspiring for young women in India. Indira was murdered by her sikh body guards after she ordered troops to invade the golden temple in Amritsar in 1983 - because it was believed terrorists were operating below it! In her post mortem it was discovered she was hit by 30 bullets. People have criticised her for the decision to invade the golden temple and still do now 20 years later. Yes, innocent people died, just like in the falklands but in most prime ministers or presidents reign time in office, it is an unfortunate truth that wars against terror are fought and tragically, innocent lives are lost. Indira's last public words, the day before her death were "I am alive today, I may not be there tomorrow. I shall continue to serve till my last breath and when I die every drop of my blood will strengthen India and keep a united India alive.”

So, what about Blair invading iraq? Lets not even start on Bush! Will their deaths be celebrated, will people continue to mock them and slate them 20 years after they left their jobs? I doubt it, i think although these mens act's and decisions were highly questionable, it is general consensus they just did their jobs. When Blair, Bush and co die will there be street parties and vile outbreaks of sheer disrepesct? I doubt it.

I find it interesting thatcher was called the iron lady, have any of our male prime ministers had a nickname with "man" in the title?

I think the public are afraid of women in power and found it so shocking these women instigated these invasions and thats why they get such a bad rap.

There is no denying Thatcher and Gandhi made some bad and questionable decisions and brought in some arguably terrible policies, yet i cant help think that if a man had done the same he wouldn't have had half as much of a hard time. In fact men have done it and not had so much bad press! Also it isn't like they made their decisions rashly, without any advice. Political leaders are surrounded by advisors.

Much has been said about how Thatcher wasn't a feminist, I think she probably didn't even need to think about feminism, and seperate herself from the men, she just got on with it, I read a quote and I wish I could remember who it was that said, when a woman reaches that position and is a true equal, feminism doesn't even need to exist anymore.

Apparently Margaret Thatcher was quoted as saying "feminism is poison" maybe she meant women could achieve the opposite of what they had hoped by segregating themselves too far?

I read that Thatcher did not focus on “women’s issues” apparently because she felt she had to avoid being pigeonholed. However, she always supported abortion rights, saying that “one of the worst things anyone can do in this world is to bring an unwanted child into it", and she was in favour of women being ordained in the church as priests.

Much has been made of the public spending on Thatcher's funeral, I agree it was excessive and the money would be much better spent elsewhere, would it have cost so much if we didn't have a large number of morons jumping on a bandwagon wanting to dance on her grave, therefore needing policing? Probably not.

I honestly believe that throughout their time in power, every decision made by these women was made with the absolute belief they were acting in the best interests of their countries, it may not have worked out that way, but they truly thought they were acting with their countries best interests at heart.

I believe anyone in a position of power, from CEO's to country leaders should be accountable for their decisions while they are in power, but when their time in office ends, when they reach old age, or in Gandhi's case are taken too soon, we should show a little respect. RIP ladies, your legacy lives on and you inspired generations showing women can be anything they want to be.















No comments:

Post a Comment