Thursday 4 April 2013

Thirsty for Thirty!

Firstly huge apologies for lack of blogging lately! I was home for 6 weeks and in that time i saw as many people as possible, dragged sushil up and down the country for 2 weeks and ate and drank a LOT! Since being back in India i have been busy planning my big fat indian wedding which is in just over a week - argh! You can expect a post about that in the future as i'm sure i'll have loads to share!

So as i was thinking about what to write next i realised this time in my life is pretty significant, this year is my last one of my 20's, i'm about to get married... Its all change for me so i figured a coming of age/self indulgent blog post was about due!

I really feel as though things are falling into place for me now. My early 20's were a whirlwind, i went to new zealand with my ex, ended that relationship on my 21st and then went on to have a lot of dates, a lot of dalliances and a few pathetic relationships. None of which i regret, you have to kiss a lot of frogs to find a prince! I partied hard, watched my younger sister get married and basically went in the opposite direction, living alone surrounded by girl friends and gay friends and a lot of sauvignon blanc. My mid to late 20's have mostly been spent in India where i feel i have experienced and learnt enough for a lifetime. I've learned to be patient, to reserve judgement, to just say no, to be selfless (ok, less selfish!) and to embrace life. I have also been lucky enough to visit Thailand, take in quite a bit of Europe, have a few mad minibreaks and do some charity work in Uganda. The constant throughout my twenties has been my friends, funnily the people i am closest to now are the ones i went to school with. I haven't learnt anything from the stream of "inspiring" quotes we seem to be subjected to on Facebook (maybe a friend cleanse is also due?).

Now as i face turning 30 in a few months, i also will become a wife, i will stop travelling to India so much and i'm starting university. This does all scare me, who isn't fearful of change after-all? But if my 20's taught me anything its that it will all be ok in the end, nights spent awake worrying about men, money, my weight, my job, my family, only give you dark circles. I'm so excited for the future, the adventures i will have with my new husband, the lessons i will learn, the sights i'll see, the people i'll meet.

As i approach 30 so too are a lot of my friends and peers, facebook is a constant reminder. I see a lot of friends (sadly mostly girls) talking about "that birthday", i say bring it on! Its a lovely milestone and an opportunity to look back on a decade of fun and look forward to the future! I like my laughter lines, i don't have frown lines yet but i'm armed and ready for when they attack, i am a sucker for soap and glory products!

I may be starting uni 10 years late but i think its ideal timing, I'm studying something which i am passionate about and care about - international studies. When i was 18 i didn't know what i wanted to do next week never mind the rest of my life! I am lucky the job i fell into ended up taking me halfway across the world where i met my fiance and now i feel i have the experience, the stability and the will to study and learn, i really am Thirsty for Thirty!























No comments:

Post a Comment